Join us on our journey as we document the miracle of life through the unique perspective of both the gestational carrier and parents-to-be.

Monday, April 21, 2014

Hi, I'm Robin!

I kept telling Cristi I would  post on this blog this weekend, but I really think I was waiting for her to make the first move.  This is scary for me.  And I'm not a "get scared" kind of person.

That said, Hi, I'm Robin--Cristi and Jeff's gestational carrier.  I have to take a deep breath now while I put all this out there for people I know and a lot of people I don't know to read, so here it goes.

Have any of you seen the  Hunger Games Bad Lip Read on YouTube?  (Side note: they're really funny!!).  Well, in that clip, there's a line and this girl says to Katniss that she's "loco crazy!"  Well, I kinda feel that way.  But in all seriousness, I found a quote the other day that is helping me explain this situation to myself, and to other people that I have shared what is going on in my life:

"There will be a few
times in your life when all
your instincts will tell you 
to do something, something
that defies logic, upsets
your plans, and may seem
crazy to others.  When that
happens, you do it.  Listen to 
your instincts and ignore
logic, ignore the odds,
ignore the complications,
and just go for it."
-Judith McNaught

Ten years ago I offered my sister to carry a baby for it.  That's when the idea was first born.  Now fast forward 10 years; my family is done and I had actually run into a couple gestational carriers over the last couple of years, so it made me consider this again.  In December, I contacted the Utah Fertility Center just to learn about it.  They called me back, did a basic screening, and I knew I was a good candidate.  With all the things going on in my life (sold a home, moved in with the in-laws, we're now building a home etc.), it was just too much and I said this wasn't the right thing for me at this time.  In February, I received a phone call from the fertility center saying there was a couple that would like to meet me.  I decided what the heck?  Seriously-- what were the chances that I'd click right off the bat with the first couple I met?  Well, within 5 seconds of meeting Cristi and Jeff, I KNEW they were the couple that I needed to help.  I'm not prone to pillar of light, heavenly choir kind of spiritual experiences, but this is one of those kinds of experiences.  Everything is moving forward so much faster than I ever anticipated, and sometimes I'm scared.  "For God hath not given us the Spirit of fear.  But of power, of love, and of a sound mind."  When I feel scared and unsure, I think of that.  I already had my answer that this was the right thing for me to do, and these were the right people.  

So, this is a little bit about me, and how I got to this place in my life.  There's of course more I had to consider, and I'm sure I can share that at a later date (IE, how this would effect my health, body, family, etc.).  But, I'm excited to share this journey in this public way with Cristi and Jeff.  I hope to educate, break some stereotypes, and share this with all of you who are interested.  Here's to making a miracle!  

No comments:

Post a Comment